Frequently Asked Questions

“Can I take a driving assessment in my own car?”
Unfortunately, some of the clients we see are not suitable for driving, and make serious mistakes whilst on the road. We therefore only use our own, dual-controlled vehicles for the assessment. We have a range of vehicles available, including manual and automatic transmission, and vehicles adapted to help you overcome a disability; for example fitted with hand controls to control acceleration and braking, or a left foot accelerator pedal. We will not expect a perfect drive during the assessment, and you will be given as much time as you want to familiarise yourself with the vehicle and the controls.

“Do you fit vehicle adaptations?”
No, but we can give you details of suitable, local installers.

“Can you provide food while we wait for our relative who’s having a driving assessment?”
No, but we do have a patio area where you can eat your own food, weather permitting, and a microwave oven that you can use to heat pre-prepared food of your own. We can, of course, provide hot and cold drinks while you wait.

“Do you provide driving lessons?”
We can provide tuition to novice drivers who are learning to drive for the first time, or experienced drivers who require familiarisation lessons using new controls. There may be a waiting time to provide lessons, but all Instructors are Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency approved, and specialise in teaching people with disabilities.

“Do I have to live in Hertfordshire to have an assessment?”
No – we welcome referrals from all areas. Our farthest travelling client to date, was a man who travelled from Inverness for a driving assessment and who is now back on the road, enjoying his independence again. We also have an office at the Disability Resource Centre in Dunstable where we can provide assessments for those clients travelling from the Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and the Northamptonshire area. If you are in the Middlesex, Berkshire or Buckinghamshire areas, we also offer assessments from our centre in Hillingdon.

“How do I Join the Motability Scheme?”
Anyone aged 3 or over who currently receives either the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Plan (PIP), the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment, and has at least 12 months’ award remaining, is eligible to lease a car from Motability.
This includes a parent/guardian who can order a car on behalf of a child aged 3 or over who is receiving the ERMC of the DLA and non-drivers who can name up to 2 other drivers.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Close Menu